Sunday, June 6, 2010

I have a new love.

I really should have started this affair months ago when my good friend Lara tried her best to introduce us, but I was preoccupied and a little arrogant and figured he would wait around for me. Well, I am not sure that he noticed, because he is a man coveted by many (according to the number of comments he receives daily,) and I am not going to pretend that he has been pining away the days, as he has kept himself very busy... but I finally went over and introduced myself today and I couldn't be happier with the results :)


Meet Joel. A man of great taste, imagination, devotion and love for his children (and, I am sure, his darling looking wife). Joel is an at home dad who takes his role very seriously in a not so serious manner. An artist in residence, he has taken it upon himself to enrich his life, the lives of his three year old twins and thankfully, through his blog Made by Joel, our lives as well. An almost daily account of his simple and manageable but stylin' projects is not only supremely useful to any parent... but hugely inspiring!


Joel is very good at taking a good sense of design and showing the rest of us that it really is a good thing to keep things simple and doable. It is a product of a consumer based society to believe that things must be complicated and expensive to be worthwhile. I like to think I am less consumer minded than many, but I always take things that are simple and do my best to complicate them. As a parent of two boys, it is so good to be reminded that this doesn't need to be the case.


I found myself scrolling through Joel's simple yet stunning ideas and realizing how many areas of my life are more complicated than they need to be. While he does not skimp on quality design-wise, he uses such simple techniques and supplies in each of his projects that the reader is left with no other conclusion than to say "I can do this.... and I want to." And this, my friends, is good.



More playing with our kids, less stressing out. Yes, thank you! Joel and I will be spending a great deal of time together from here on in. And he can wear what he wants, doesn't need to be fancy. It is about time I found a good man.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Congratulations on your new relationship! Wishing you many happy hours creating!

Three Owls said...

told ya so.... lol ;)

andrea of ffft said...

LOL... I know, he is just dreamy isnt he? Currently on project number two. He even emailed me this morning to thank me, he has manners too! I wish he had left a comment... stealthy that one.