|Resident DJ Adham Shaikh... hard at work.|
The West Kootenay region, where Nelson is situated, is part of the traditional territories of the Sinixt (or Lakes) and Ktunaxa (Kutenai) peoples. Known as "The Queen City", it is acknowledged for its impressive collection of restored heritage buildings from the glory days in the regional gold and silver rush of 1867. Francis Rattenbury, a noted architect most celebrated in British Columbia for the Parliament Buildings in Victoria, the Vancouver Provincial Courthouse, and the second Hotel Vancouver, designed chateau-style civic buildings made of granite, as well as many of the local houses which stand today. By the 1900s, Nelson boasted several fine hotels, a Hudson's Bay Company store and an electric streetcar system. The local forestry and mining industries were well established. Although the majority of these buildings were faced with aluminum facades in the 60's, by 1985, the downtown was completely restored. The transformation marked the beginning of Nelson's ongoing transition from a resource-based town to an arts and tourism town.
|Boarding at WH2O|
|Shambhala 2011 cr. Stephen Huang|