Monday, August 15, 2011

Noggins As A Canvas: The Steven Jones Milliner Competition


Today's post is dedicated to the recent display of bizarreness, AKA "the guests of the Royal Wedding". I used to make hats. Looooong time ago. It occurred to me that all those bitty pieces in the sewing room could amount to something. Lo and behold, after one trip to Roberta's on Granville Island, where most confections started at about two hundred smackeroos... the light bulb went on. So I took up millinery... of a sort. I created one hat in a particular design and by the time I was halfway through, three more had occurred to me. I loved it. About a hundred hats in I realized I was merely so so at it. The experience, however, taught me that making fabulous noggin-wear takes more than a cap with feathers plunked on it. There is definitely skill involved. The word finicky comes to mind. Persnickety would most likely also come to mind if I knew exactly what it meant.

Holly Gaiman. Creator of hats.
Anyhow... I digress. I caught sight of this hat this morning during my facebook stroll and even though I may have voted for it regardless because it happens to be made by one of my favourite author's daughter (he is tied with Terry whom he has worked with, so does he get extra points for that? He does do brilliant children's books, and definitely gets points for that...) I have to say that this piece is a work of art.

"Featherswept"
Holly Gaiman has created "Featherswept" as part of her Private View show from June. This piece, inspired by Japanese calligraphy, is an entry into a competition that will see the winner commencing studies with acclaimed British milliner, Stephen Jones. (Holly was mentored by Rose Cory, former milliner to the Queen mum, and also holds a masters in media and culture.) If you would like to see some of the competition and vote, you can visit the site. These are a few of my other favourites, although the list is so vast I didn't come anywhere near to getting through them all.

"Birds on Street Corners" inspired by graffiti artist Xenz. Submitted by Ani Stafford-Townsend.

"In Memory of: Amy Winehouse" submitted by Joosten Mueller.

"Yvette, en Vert" inspired by the work of Yvette Delort. Submitted by Tricia Roush

Brett Morley's submission.

"
"Embrise Regis" by Melanie Grieve.
Reversable "Halk/Kingfisher" sculptural piece submitted by Emma Yeo.
"Ma-sy" submitted by Masha Sylnyagina

And this has to go in there because top hats and octopi are two of my favourite things...

Submitted by Megan Bishop... who feels the same way.
If any of you have a serious hat thing, as I do, you really should go and check out the entire list... there are some brilliant works of art that I didn't include. Both structurally and imaginatively stunning. And vote!

*Sidebar: Not that I think everyone at the royal wedding was a hoot, there were a fair number of gorgeous pieces included, of course :)


3 comments:

Susan said...

Welcome back.
That first hat looks almost identical to the black widow in my window.

Susan said...

Ha! I just checked out the Royal Hats. My husband often notes that throughout history, the aristocracy of most cultures can be easily identified by their BIG HATS.

I've never understood how royals become fashion figures, because I rarely see outfits I'd want be caught dead in outside of a costume party. Well, I guess that's what happens when you don't dress yourself :)

andrea of ffft said...

LOL... isn't that what it is to be a royal? One big costume party???