Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thinking in Green



I am usually loathe to suggest that people buy from a chain store such as Pier One or Pottery Barn, although my love for IKEA stands uncontested. I usually buy artisan made pieces, thrift store finds, or retro-fit pieces myself. There are definitely stores that I snoop through but I am lucky enough to live in a place that has an abundance of artists and finding a unique piece is, to me, a far more enjoyable and satisfying option.




Having gotten this disclaimer out of the way, I have to say how much I love these pieces out of the new Pottery Barn catalog. I love the fabric selections for both the 'Madison' and 'Brooks' chairs and the simple style of the chairs themselves.



There are a few accessories that I may have been tempted into buying if I lived anywhere near a store, but with the headache of shipping glass and the added cost of shipping period, I can get an artist here to reproduce them. This is something that you can always consider, in this day of greener thinking and trying to support a local market, there is no reason not to collect your ideas from stores, catalogues or the WWW, but always keep in mind that these can be re-created by an artist in your area and often sourcing them out is a wonderful experience. Getting together some friends and doing a tour of a studio or even an art school (where the prices tend to be much lower) can make for a rewarding weekend activity.

No comments: